Friday, December 14, 2007

Lima...Ugly and beautiful...Reminds me of Istanbul

My meze platter on the bus...We took our bus Cruz del Sur yesterday at 4 pm. The bus was a Scania, made in Brazil, great comfy seats and good service. We paid 110 soles or 38 USD for this bus ride. They gave us a thin blanket, a pillow, a decent dinner, an ok breakfast, 4 movies (Piril watched them all!!!)...It was not noisy, full of Gringos, almost everyone was tourists, there was a full make up sexy looking stewardess and one serious gay looking steward...They offered coke during the dinner and I asked water...Thy charged me 2 soles and I was a little pissed but..I was able to sleep very well. The journey took exactly 20,5 hours, a total of 1283 kms, a distance which neither I nor Piril never had in on go...The geography was pretty interesting, we saw almost a desert structure right next to the Pacific Ocean...Larcomar, MirafloresThe road is called "Panamericana" which is a highway connecting the USA all the way down to Chile. The road was in good shape. Although the bus was comfy, it made many stops and that is the reason it took that long I suppose...I also finished my book Araf...

We arrived in Cruz del Sur, Lima, haggled a taxi driver for 10 soles for our hostal "Flying Dog" at Miraflores. Piril was asking me if there could be any problem with the reservation and I was assuring her that it would not been possible. When we arrived in the hostel, Plaza Mayor, Lima they found out that they made a mistake, instead of a room with private bathroom, they reserved a shared bath for us. I made some fuss out of this, sure as a tourism person, insisted, insisted, yelled and after waiting half an hour, we reached our clean room with a private bathroom...We were hungry as wolves, went to the nearby restaurant, had the menu del dia (potato salad with tomatoes and calamari, a big beef and french fries, Piril had Spagetthi Carbonara and a great juice for 5 USD)...Miraflores, LimaThen we headed to Malecon right by the Pacific Ocean, dag into Larcomar, the California concept shopping mall, got info from the lady at the information office...Today is my birthday, so I decided to give a gift for myself, got my favorite caramel and chocolate ice cream and felt sooo happy!!!Piril got me a birthday gift, a lovely Peru tshirt, she knows how much I love tshirts from diferent countries....We walked through the well maintained rich streets of Miraflores, saw romantic couples, doing tonsil operations to each other(!) and discussed Larcomar, Mirafloresabout the income gap between the rich and the poor...Finally we came back...A friend gave us a contact here in Lima, we´ll invite her over dinner and drink for tomorrow evening...I´m longing to have a Pisco Sour...

Luxury restaurant at Pacific Ocean, LimaBirthday party will be tomorrow...We will be in Lima for a couple days...Pics will come as soon as we find a cafe with USB.

PS: We realized today that we are not missing Quito at all!!!

No comments: