Thursday, December 6, 2007

Still in Quito...Waiting in anticipation...

We woke up early yesterday (wed), had our breakfast (a little panini,jam,butter,scrambled eggs and coffee) and headed to call the Peruvian Consulate. They told us to call back on Friday which means we´ll be around some more days. Santo Domingo SquareWe walked to the San Fransisco Square and Plaza Grande, watched the concerts and celebrations...Then we decided to move to another hotel (Hotel Auca)on the same street which charges 20 USD per night (without internet and breakfast though) as opposed to 32,4 USD here. Then we came back to our hotel´s patio for a lovely lunch. Lunch was lovely but a professional thief grabbed my brand new camera. San Fransisco SquareIt seems like this trip is going to cost me a lot more than I thought...I was left all alone with my 70-300 mm lens and all the filters!!! I had an extra smaller camera, so I think I¨ll be fine with it but my dreams were all shattered. I was thrilled to use the camera but...Anyway, maybe I´ll buy another one, a used, maybe another stolen one!!! We even went to the thieves´market to look for my camera but there was no sign of it. Then Piril headed back to the hotel, I was still in shock, went to the new town with the hope to find a Canon corner but there was none. All the other cameras were smaller, not like my professional camera. I walked a lot, passed through a park where I saw entire barbequed pigs (with heads) and happy QuiteƱos celebrating their day of independence. I came back on Trole, electric bus which was the most crowded bus I have ever been in. I was feeling the breathing of people around, accompanied with some nice smells of garlic, onion and a very heavy spice, mixed with various different other aromas which my poor nose could not identify:))) Piril was in the room, reading so we decided not go out, had some fruits, chatted, watched the movie "American Pie 2" dubbed in Spanish and went to bed. I received the first call of our trip from Virginia, US from a friend who followed the blog and found the number of the hotel. It was strange, when the phone rang, we looked at each other and said "who is this"...Well, it was a good feeling after all to hear a friend´s caring voice...

Today´s program (thu) is a move to the other hotel, join the celebrations and climbing on to Panecillo Hill.

Tata for now

No comments: