Sunday, December 9, 2007

Otavalo Market

Cute children in Otavalo MarketToday we wanted to start the day early because we were going to go to Otavalo Market, one of the largest and most colorful traditional markets of Latin America. The muchacho at Ormeño had told us to go to a bus Station, so we took the trole, walked and reached there. The guys told us that it was the Bus Station for Guayaquil, not for Otavalo...We asked around, took the taxi and went to a street junction to catch the bus for Otavalo. We soon heard the voice of driver´s assistant "muavin".... Otavalaoooooooo.....We hopped on the bus, sat down and relaxed. There were at least 4 vendors jumped onto the bus, selling illegal DVDs, candies, even a woman was selling cooked food...People ate them on the bus with their hands and cleaned their hands on the seats......The Road to OtavaloUgh, I have a good stomach usually, but even mine got a little upset. Piril was already closing her eyes, as she has motion sickness. Then they increased the volume of the music, all the same style music..I bet the Equadorians can never live without music..The road was winding through a beautiful landscape, all green and fertileI enjoyed the ride. The reached Otavalo within 2 hrs 15 mins in total. We saw the different sections where they tell ethnic clothes, purses, bags, wooden items, key rings, alpaca shawls, different silver and other types or jewelry, fruits,...Two old ladies chatting in Otavalo Market vegetables, entire chickens, different street food, some churros and some stuff like Turkish Lokma. We found a Sicilian´s Pizza, Piril had a sanduche (sandwich) with vegetables and I had a strong coffee...It was avery colorful market, with baby boys and girls, colorful outfits of the men and women, beautiful items...

...Beautiful handicrafts in Otavalo MarketPiril got a great set of necklace and earrings together with an alpaca shawl in color purple...I got nothing!!! My bag is already full and I was dying to by a tapis in red...Maybe I´ll regret that I did not buy it...Ok, to admit it, I have already regretted:(((( C´est la vie again...

When we were done, we took the bus from the bus terminal again, this time it was a bus with Otavalo Market, Aylin Jewelry Shop!!!blue glass windows, pretty bumpy but a little more faster. I listened to Sezen Aksu from my Ipod on the way as opposed to salsa music on the bus and went into pink dreams, watching the beautiful landscape...The bus station was very close to our hotel this time, we just walked some 10 mins and came back home...I had time to update my blog...Due to the motion on the bus, I still feel like I´m still in the bus and moving...

I dreamt about my camera last night...Que pena...(Ne fena)Colorful Otavalo
If anyone is reading this, please let us know what you think...

Greetings from Quito!!! Nereye gidersek gidelim, yine deriz memleketim memleketim!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mine geçmiş olsun, hirsizlara dikkat!! piril takılari kaçırmamış, boğazlı kazagin uzerinden takarsin artik :) kiss

Debi said...

I love it Mine! I'm sorry to hear about your camera. :( Remember - its not always a good thing to get mad at the consulate! Take care of yourselves!Debi Jo